Tuesday, September 14, 2010

New place to store recipes. First up: corn chowder!

I hate it when I can't find an old tried-and-true recipe. I have stacks of clippings, magazines, and handwritten recipe cards that haven't yet been filed away properly. Not quite a "hoarder" but in this regard, it sure seems like I have those tendencies.

Anyway, I've decided to begin storing some of my favorite recipes here for safekeeping. If you try anything and have a comment, please let me know...I'd love to hear about it.

I received this recipe from an old friend, Lucille Zarouk, who was my sister-in-law's neighbor. I remember her as being a FABULOUS cook and I've used many of her recipes over the years! I particularly love this one because I'm a fan of corn chowder--actually, corn anything! So after hours of searching for this last month, it's my first for archiving.

Lucille's Corn Chowder

✔ 4 slices of thick bacon--pan-fried, then crumbled (or "grilled+cut" as Lucille said)

In a skillet with some of the bacon grease (your choice--your heart!), add and simmer for 10 minutes:
✔ 4 cups of potatoes, cubed small
✔ 1 medium onion, sliced thin
✔ 1 cup of water

In another large pan, combine and simmer for 10 minutes:
✔ 1 package of frozen corn
✔ 1 stick of margarine (I use butter--hey, fat is fat!)
✔ 1 cup of cream
✔ 1 teaspoon sugar

Combine all in the pan; add:
✔ 2 cups of milk
✔ salt+pepper to taste.
Heat through but do not boil. Feel free to sprinkle some sweet paprika on top when serving.

Buon appetito!

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:04 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

woohoo! with pictures too? Great idea. Thanks for sharing too!

Harriet (kinda nice to have an underused name so others know who I am! Thanks Mom and Dad)

 
At 11:16 PM, Blogger the dollimama said...

Hey, my FIRST recipe comment--thanks, Harriet!! You can be sure that anything I post here is going to be EASY to moderately-EASY 'cause that's just how I roll. ;)

 
At 9:20 PM, Blogger H. Harvey said...

I had the great pleasure of getting to eat it and it was awesomw!!! Thanks, Dolli.
xoxoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home