Tuesday, September 21, 2010

"RIPPED FROM THE PAGES..."

This one recipe a keeper and speaks to my daughters' claims that I am a hoarder. But my real or exaggerated character flaw is not without good reason. You may weigh in...

I pulled this recipe from a Better Homes & Gardens Magazine in April 1980. Yep...kept it all these years. There was something about the ingredients (after all, cinnamon AND garlic salt in a beef dish?!?) that made me want to try this as soon as I found it. Lucky for me--the girls loved it and so did I. Over the next 20 years, this was one of my "go to" casserole dishes--paired with a salad: *VOILA* dinner was served!

Then, there was about a 10 year dry spell where I just didn't even think about making it since I wasn't spending much time in the kitchen except for party prep...until last month when I ran across this yellowed page once again. And still, 30 years later, this recipe stands up to the test of time. Recently resurrected, and reprinted here for posterity, may I present (drum roll, please)...

CORN MOUSSAKA
(thanks to BH&G 5th prize winner, Jane Marasco of Hendersonville TN)

✔ 1 - 17 oz. can of whole kernel corn, drained (I use one bag of frozen corn, slightly defrosted)
✔ 1-1/2 pounds of ground beef (I have switched to ground turkey with little difference)
✔ 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
✔ 1 - 8 oz. can tomato sauce
✔ 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
✔ 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
✔ 2 slightly beaten eggs
✔ 1-1/2 cups cream-style cottage cheese with chives, drained (I use small curd/no chives and rarely think to drain it!)
✔ 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
✔ 1 - 4 oz. package (1 cup) shredded mozzarella cheese
✔ slivered almonds (optional--and I never add them)

Spread corn in an ungreased shallow 1-1/2 quart casserole or a 10x6x2-inch baking dish. In medium skilled brown ground beef/turkey; drain off excess fat. Add flour; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in tomato sauce, garlic salt, and cinnamon; pour over corn in dish. Bake in 350° oven for 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, combine eggs and cottage cheese; spread over meat mixture. Top with both cheeses; sprinkle nuts over if desired. Bake 10-15 minutes more (until top is "toasty"). Makes 6 servings.

Buon appetito!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Blogger H. Harvey said...

Here's the thing. It's light, so I eat too much of it. Delicious, though.
xoxo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home