Wednesday, September 29, 2010

it's late, but still--for breakfast...

What a rough evening. Mom's back in the hospital as those of you who are on Facebook already know. And as I look at the clock, I realize that morning *is* here. Thus, my thoughts turn to breakfast. Here's a recipe I received from someone...oh, nevermind the story--I don't need to go there.

This takes a "minute" but it's certainly worth it. Also, the dough triangles freeze well and can be defrosted and baked as needed if you want to plan ahead.

Star's Scone Recipe

✔ 2 cups flour
✔ 1-1/2 tablespoons baking powder
✔ 1/2 cup sugar
✔ 1 teaspoon salt
✔ 1 stick + 2 tablespoons butter, chilled
✔ 1/2 to 1 cup of whatever you want to put in (I add cinnamon and plumped raisins--other fruits work, too, including dried)
✔ 1 4-to-6 oz. yogurt (I use vanilla) *or* 1/2 cup buttermilk

In a food processor mix flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut in butter until it resembles meal. Place in a bowl and add raisins (+cinnamon) or apricots, cranberries, blueberries...whatever...and mix again.

Add yogurt or buttermilk and mix only until you can form a ball with the dough. Shape the dough into a disc and put on a floured board. Cut the disc into 8 pie-shaped pieces.

Put on greased+floured pan; bake at 350° for 10 minutes. Turn pan and bake another 6-10 minutes until lightly browned. Let cool on pan.

(Hmmm, maybe I'll have to include a recipe for McNab's Lemon Curd to go with the scones...I've never made it but I *have* tried it when we visited a great tea house in Boothbay Maine with Kay!)

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home