Wednesday, October 06, 2010

My confessions...

Okay, I admit it...I slipped a day.

My excuse: we were babysitting our granddaughters a little later than we expected and ended up eating dinner close to midnight even though I had everything prepared in advance. So if you're curious, I made the "Almost Gyros" and related recipes from Saturday's post since being reminded about them made me hungry for the combination. It also gave me an opportunity to take a picture of Harvey's plate to update the posting. Yum, indeed!

Tonight, I am archiving the recipe I have for Monkey Bread. I've had this one for about three decades and it's still memorable: not that long ago, I had to dig the recipe out for Meghan since she wanted to make one. This is clearly one of those 1980s throw-back recipes--during a time when we young enough that we didn't care about gaining weight and used stick margarine like it was butter. Ick. Oh, and you better dust off your old bundt pan--you'll need it.

Monkey Bread

✔ 3 cans of inexpensive buttermilk biscuits
✔ 1 cup chopped walnuts
✔ 1 stick butter (ok, use margarine if you want to be "authentic")
✔ 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
✔ 3 tablespoons milk
✔ 1/2 cup sugar + 2 teaspoons cinnamon, mixed

Preheat oven to 350°. Place chopped nuts in the bottom of an ungreased bundt pan. In a sauce pan, heat and blend butter, brown sugar and milk until butter is melted; set aside. Cut biscuits into quarters and roll in sugar/cinnamon mixture; lightly place on top of nuts in bundt pan--do not pack them in. Pour melted mixture over all. Bake for 30 minutes. Turn the bread over onto a serving plate while still hot from the oven and lift pan; cool about 10 minutes and serve warm.

Another admission: since I always wanted extra-gooey pieces, I also squirted a bit of pancake syrup on the top before popping it into the oven so it would drip down through the biscuit pieces. It's up to you--though in retrospect, it may have been overkill!

Ooo, I suddenly feel the need to find some reruns of Dynasty...

Buon appetito!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home